(Updated)

Malaysia’s new Covid-19 cases down to 11,889 on Oct 1

(Photo by Sam Fong/The Edge filepix)

(Photo by Sam Fong/The Edge filepix)

-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 1): New Covid-19 cases in Malaysia dropped below the 12,000 mark on Friday (Oct 1), with 11,889 infections reported, down from 12,735 a day ago.

The newest cases raised the nation’s cumulative Covid-19 cases to 2,257,584, according to Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a statement.

Of the latest cases, 11,710 cases or 98.5% were in Categories 1 (no symptoms) and Category 2 (mild symptoms), while the remaining 179 infections or 1.5% were in Category 3 (patients with pneumonia), Category 4 (patients with pneumonia requiring oxygen therapy) and Category 5 (critical patients requiring assisted ventilation).;

Sarawak continued to report the most new cases with 2,413 infections on Friday, though the daily figure was lower than 2,487 a day earlier.

Selangor came in second on Friday with 1,568 infections — down from 1,940 the day before — followed by Johor with 1,217 new cases, down from 1,241 previously. 

This was followed by Perak with 959 infections, Sabah (872), Kelantan (858), Pahang (831), Penang (779), Kedah (710), Terengganu (699), Melaka (378), Kuala Lumpur (289), Negeri Sembilan (197), Perlis (81), Putrajaya (36) and Labuan (two).

Meanwhile, daily recoveries continued to outpace fresh infections with 15,891 cases reported on Friday. These latest recoveries raised cumulative Covid-19 recoveries to 2,070,715, representing a 91.7% recovery rate. 

As of Friday, the intensive care units nationwide were treating 904 Covid-19 related patients, with 850 of them being Covid-19 patients, while 54 cases were suspected, probable and under investigation. Meanwhile, 492 patients required ventilators, with 380 of them being confirmed Covid-19 cases, while the remaining 112 were suspected, probable and under investigation. 

The Health Ministry also reported 14 more Covid-19 clusters, comprising seven workplace clusters, six community clusters and a cluster linked to religious activities. 

So far, the ministry has identified 5,491 clusters, with 4,423 having been declared ended, leaving 1,068 active.

Read also:
Malaysia logs lower Covid-19 fatalities for second consecutive day with 121 deaths on Oct 1

Lam Jian Wyn & Tan Choe Choe