What’s in a Number?
We all want the best for our children, and that often means them achieving the best grades possible. But research and experience also tells us that sometimes that desire for them to succeed, can be translated into pressure and increased anxiety. So, how as parents do we ensure that we strike the balance right? We need to ensure that the journey to achieve outstanding results has the wellbeing of the child at its core. So, as you explore a school’s statistics, be sure to dig a little deeper.
7 Top Tips for Understanding Academic Results
#1 Check the Size of the Cohort
A percentage can be impressive, but the number of students entered for the exams may be small. Check how many students are represented by the statistic before you are wowed by the headline!
#2 Zoom in on the ‘Value-added’ Score
This shows the 'extra' achievement a child has made, when you take into account their natural ability- an excellent indicator of the quality of teaching!
#3 Look at Historical Data for Consistency
It’s important that your child receives a consistently outstanding education. To ensure that a school has an excellent proven track record of this, be sure to check out their past academic results.
#4 Ask ‘How Inclusive is the School?’
An inclusive school ensures it provides for students of all abilities, including those with different learning needs.
#5 Check out the Graduates’ Destinations
Outstanding academic results should open doors to the world’s best universities.
#6 Find Out How Many Subjects are Offered
A broad range of subjects offered means that your child will have a greater chance of discovering a pathway that is perfectly suited to them, ensuring they are ready to shine amongst the stars.
#7 Compare Apples with Apples
Schools will have different ways of formulating their results to ensure they look their best. Choose which grades matter to you most and clarify which are included in the data provided. Keep it consistent, and good luck!
Schools deserve the opportunity to shout about their students’ achievements as they publish their academic results. The statistics can be incredibly useful for prospective parents too- they offer something concrete to compare between schools but the numbers presented are a starting point, certainly not the end.
Want more facts & recording-breaking numbers? Apply these tips to GIS’s academic results, and find out what makes them stand out!. #packedforlife
GIS 2020 Academic Results
- GIS Cohort Size: 433 students sat IGCSE and A Level examinations
- 81% of all grades at A-Level were A*/A with a 100% pass rate for A Level
- 70% A-Level students achieved straight A*/A grades
- 76% of all grades at IGCSE were A*/A, with nearly 50% A*
- 99% of our students will go on to study at their first or second choice university, with many winning places at the world’s top universities including Stanford, Brown, UCLA, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Edinburgh, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, Leiden University and Yale-NUS.
- 6 students won places at Oxbridge and ten students received offers to study Medicine or Dentistry in the UK.
- GIS Value Added score for A Level is +1.0. This means that our outstanding teachers make the difference of approximately one additional grade on average for each student in each subject! These results far exceed those of any private school in the UK.
Congratulations to our GIS community for once again bringing out the best!
At Garden International School, every student’s backpack is filled with unlimited potential. Packed with the right combination of knowledge, skills, character and confidence, our students are fully prepared for the journey ahead. #PackedForLife
To celebrate our outstanding results, enjoy a 100% application fee waiver (worth RM 1300) until 20th September.