PUTRAJAYA (May 23): The process of sending home 1,480 tertiary students who are still staying on campus will be brought forward to Tuesday (May 26), said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said the Ministry of Higher Education had discussed with Malaysia Airlines and obtained its agreement to provide flights to send the students back to their hometowns.
"Four flights are scheduled for Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu to send home 1,148 students.
"Another two flights are scheduled for Kuching to Kuala Lumpur to bring home 332 students," he told a daily news conference here today.
Ismail Sabri said earlier that the process of sending home tertiary students had been halted because of the Aidilfitri celebrations and would resume on May 28.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri, who is also the defence minister, said Malaysian diplomatic missions overseas were gathering information on Malaysians who want to return home beginning next month.
“Malaysians wishing to come back should inform our missions to make it easier for us to monitor and manage their return.
“We know that the summer holiday is from June to September but do not know how many want to return. So, we are asking our people overseas to register with and inform our diplomatic missions,” he added.
He said 39,820 Malaysians returning from overseas since April 3 had undergone compulsory quarantine.
“Yesterday, 582 Malaysians came back and were placed under compulsory quarantine, and so far 31,865 individuals had been allowed to return home after completing their mandatory quarantine,” he added.
Stay at home. We will deliver the news to you at theedgemarkets.com.