(Updated)

New Covid-19 cases drop to below 11,000 on Sept 27, with less than 1,000 in Selangor

Selangor’s daily cases fell to 979 from 1,558 on Sunday. Elsewhere in the Klang Valley, Kuala Lumpur’s cases fell to 176 from 270, and Putrajaya’s to 18 from 34. (Photo by Zahid Izzani Mohd Said/The Edge)

Selangor’s daily cases fell to 979 from 1,558 on Sunday. Elsewhere in the Klang Valley, Kuala Lumpur’s cases fell to 176 from 270, and Putrajaya’s to 18 from 34. (Photo by Zahid Izzani Mohd Said/The Edge)

-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (Sept 27): Malaysia’s new Covid-19 infections dropped sharply to 10,959 on Monday from 13,104 a day earlier, as Selangor posted less than 1,000 cases for the first time in four months.

This raised the country’s cumulative number of cases to 2,209,194, Health Director-General Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement.

He said Selangor’s daily cases fell to 979 from 1,558 on Sunday. Elsewhere in the Klang Valley, Kuala Lumpur’s cases fell to 176 from 270, and Putrajaya’s to 18 from 34.

Sarawak continued to log the highest number of fresh infections with 2,723 (down from 2,943 on Sunday), followed by Johor with 1,226 (down from 1,455).

Of the latest infections, 10,754 cases or 98.1% were in Category 1 (no symptoms) and Category 2 (mild symptoms), while the remaining 205 cases or 1.9% were in Category 3 (patients with pneumonia), Category 4 (patients with pneumonia requiring oxygen therapy) and Category 5 (critical patients requiring assisted ventilation).

980 patients in ICU

Dr Noor Hisham said 980 Covid-19 related patients are being treated in the intensive care unit (ICU), of whom 862 are Covid-19 positive, while 118 patients are suspected, probable and under investigation for the virus.

Of the patients being treated in the ICU, 579 are on ventilators.

Meanwhile, new recoveries on Monday stood at 16,430, outpacing new infections for the 11th straight day. This raised the cumulative tally of recoveries to 2,005,942, representing a recovery rate of 90.8%.

The Health Ministry also reported 19 new clusters on Monday, comprising nine workplace clusters, eight community clusters, a detention centre cluster and a high-risk group cluster.

To date, 5,432 clusters have been detected nationwide, of which 4,267 have been declared ended, leaving 1,165 active clusters. 

Read also:
Malaysia reports 258 Covid-19-linked fatalities on Sept 27

S Kanagaraju & Chong Jin Hun