Pekida and Yayasan Penyelidikan Transformasi first parties to not contest MACC's RM270m forfeiture suit

-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (July 10): Yayasan Penyelidikan Transformasi and Pertubuhan Kebajikan Dakwah Islamiah Malaysia (Pekida) — two of 41 entities facing forfeiture action from the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) — have today indicated to the High Court here that they are not contesting the prosecution's action.

This was disclosed by MACC deputy public prosecutor Nik Haslinie Hashim to reporters after case management with four of the 41 entities today.

"Pekida and Yayasan Penyelidikan Transformasi have told the deputy registrar Nurliana Ismail they would not be objecting to the forfeiture.

"They are the first two not to object," she said.

The prosecution is seeking RM140,493.08 from Pekida, and another RM407,101.16 from Yayasan Penyelidikan Transformasi, confirming a report by The Edge last month.

Yayasan Penyelidikan Transformasi was said to be led by Najib's former adviser and special aide Khairil Annas Jusoh.

MACC chief commissioner Latheefa Koya announced that it had on June 19 filed forfeiture suits against 41 entities for allegedly receiving money from 1Malaysia Development Bhd, from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

Besides the two, the Pahang Umno liaison committee and K & Z Enterprise Sdn Bhd, which are also parties to the suit, had their case management here today.

Pahang Umno was represented by Datuk Syed Azimal Syed Abu Bakar and Mohd Shukri Ahmad Mansor, who indicated that Nurliana had fixed a hearing of the application to gazette the third-party notice for forfeiture on July 26 before Datuk Rozana Ali Yusof.

Umno Pahang can submit its affidavit to object the forfeiture by July 31.

Syed Azimal said Nurliana has fixed Aug 21 for the prosecution to reply to the affidavit.

For K & Z, a supplier of fabric to the government, Nik Haslinie said the court has fixed Aug 6 to hear the application to gazette the notice.

So far, out of the 41 entities which the MACC had filed action against, tourist agency Rayhar Travels Sdn Bhd, which is involved in organising umrah and hajj pilgrimages, had indicated it will be opposing the gazette of the third-party notice for forfeiture.

MACC is seeking a total of RM270 million from the forfeiture action with the bulk coming from Umno, which had received RM212 million.

Related stories:
Respondents can file affidavit against MACC's civil forfeiture suits — Latheefa
How much money MACC is claiming from each of the 41 respondents in its civil forfeiture suit