Now, Zahid says plotter called off meeting with Najib

Now, Zahid says plotter called off meeting with Najib
-A +A

(Aug 18): The Umno leader behind the plot to topple the government had cancelled Sunday's meeting with Datuk Seri Najib Razak, said Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, just two days after he announced the plotter had repented.

The deputy prime minister today said that while he did not know when the meeting will be rescheduled, he would make sure it would take place.

"The meeting between that particular person and the prime minister that was supposed to be held was cancelled on the request of that individual himself," he told a press conference in Putrajaya today.

"I understand that journalists had already gathered outside the prime minister's residence, but based on that request, the appointment was cancelled.

"I don't know when a new (appointment) will be set but I will make sure it will happen."

When asked why the individual had cancelled the meeting, Zahid said, in jest, "because many journalists were waiting for him".

But while Zahid was confident that the Umno man in question was leading the plot to overthrow the government, he said no arrests could be made yet.

"A police report has already been lodged. The process is that when the report is made, investigations will be carried out.”

He added that he had already submitted the information he had on the plot, but refused to reveal the man's identity, saying it would jeopardise investigations.

On Sunday, Zahid said the Umno leader was to meet Najib because he had "come to his senses" and realised the severity of his plan.

"As of last night, I was told that the individual concerned realised that his action was wrong.

"So he will be meeting the prime minister and Umno president on the matter this evening (at about 6pm)," he was quoted as saying when opening the Umno Tampin division meeting on Sunday.

Zahid first revealed the plot to topple the government on Saturday, and vowed that he would not allow it to happen.

He said that he had learnt that an Umno man was leading the plot with the support of opposition lawmakers.

He said they were seeking the signatures of both BN and opposition lawmakers for a statutory declaration to remove the government.

This led to deputy Umno president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin and the party veteran leader Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah denying having any part in the alleged conspiracy. – The Malaysian Insider