More sectors allowed to operate in Selangor EMCO areas, says MITI

More sectors allowed to operate in Selangor EMCO areas, says MITI
-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (July 7): The Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) has expanded the list of sectors allowed to operate in Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) areas in Selangor.

The additionals include those related to the production of healthcare products, as well as food and beverage.

In a statement today, the Ministry said the electrical & electronics (E&E) sector and its supply chains; aerospace sector (Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO)); machinery and equipment (M&E) sector for the production of healthcare and food products; as well as key food and beverage manufacturing companies are now allowed to operate in localities subject to the EMCO in Selangor, starting today.

It said the list of key food and beverage products is available in the standard operating procedures (SOP) for the manufacturing sector for the EMCO in Selangor at www.miti.gov.my.

“MITI wishes to affirm that this decision demonstrates the importance and significance of these sectors in supporting the production of goods in the global supply chain as well as the critical production of health and food & beverage products in the country.

“Companies in these sectors can resume operations using the existing Covid-19 Intelligent Management System (CIMS) 3.0 approval letter which bears the acronym ‘PKP 3.0’ and dated June 2021 and thereafter,” said the Ministry

MITI emphasised that companies are obliged to fully comply with the current SOPs for the manufacturing sector, including allowed sectors and activities, as well as the need to adhere to the workforce capacity at a rate of 60%, while the remaining 40% of employees are to adhere to the work from home policy.

The Ministry said it is hopeful that an enhanced and expedited vaccination programme targeted at manufacturing sector workers will serve to protect workers’ health and ensure the nation’s economic sustainability through the Public Private Partnership Covid-19 Industry Immunisation Programme (PIKAS).

“MITI also called on the industry to work closely with the Government in flattening the Covid-19 curve. Enforcement activities will also be based on the evaluation of the Hotspot Identification for Dynamic Engagement (HIDE) Early Warning System, to facilitate the detection of high-risk locations for Covid-19 transmission.

“Any company found violating the SOPs will be subject to legal action including fines or closure of the premises for a certain period of time,” it said.

Kathy Fong