(Updated)

Petronas announces gas discovery in Baram Province

Petronas finds gas in from Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well

Petronas finds gas in from Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well

-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (Feb 24): Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas) today announced a gas discovery from the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417 Production Sharing Contract (PSC), located in the shallow waters of Baram Province, approximately 90 kilometres off the coast of Sarawak.

The national oil firm said PTTEP HK Offshore Ltd is the operator for Block SK417 PSC with 80% participating interest while Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Petronas, holds the remaining 20%.

The PSC was signed in March 2018 as a result of the Malaysia Bid Round 2017, it said in a statement.

It said the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well was successfully drilled to a total depth of 3,810 metres in mid-January 2021.

The discovery of a gas column measuring more than 80 metres in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI-VII reservoirs further validates the potential of the remaining prospects in Baram Province, it said.

This finding of contaminant-free gas in Dokong-1 not only revives Baram shallow clastics play but also proves the presence of more sweet gas opportunities within the area, it added.

Petronas senior vice president of Malaysia petroleum management Mohamed Firouz Asnan said the Dokong-1 exploration well is one of several recent successes in Malaysia’s exploration activities.

According to him, monetisation of sweet gas discovery in Baram Province can be supported through existing infrastructure and will contribute towards Petronas’ aspiration in delivering reliable, stable and cleaner energy supply to domestic and global markets.

“In addition, the Dokong-1 discovery reinvigorates the entire exploration landscape of the Baram Province, strengthening the role of Baram gas supply network as part of the larger Sarawak gas system. Petronas together with the PSC parties are currently undertaking further evaluation to determine the full extent of the discovery,” he added.

Meanwhile, Petronas will be offering four shallow water blocks in Sarawak as part of the upcoming Malaysia Bid Round 2021, which will take place on Feb 26, 2021. 

Surin Murugiah