(Updated)

Malaysia’s daily Covid-19 cases rise to 12,434 on Sept 29; infections in Selangor rise again

(Photo by Sam Fong/The Edge)

(Photo by Sam Fong/The Edge)

-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (Sept 29): Malaysia reported 12,434 new Covid-19 cases on Wednesday (Sept 29), up from 11,332 a day prior. This raised the nation’s cumulative number of Covid-19 cases to 2,232,960, according to the Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah in a statement.

Of the latest infections, 12,277  cases or 98.3% were in Categories 1 (no symptoms) and Category 2 (mild symptoms, while the remaining 207 cases or 1.7% were in Category 3 (patients with pneumonia), Category 4 (patients with pneumonia requiring oxygen therapy) and Category 5 (critical patients requiring assisted ventilation).

Sarawak topped the list with 2,967 cases — up from 2,358 cases on Tuesday — followed by Selangor, which saw a continued increase in new cases to 1,362, up from 1,231 a day ago, which rose from 979 on Monday.

Behind Selangor was Johor, which logged 1,289 cases, down from 1,319 previously, followed by Kelantan (1,125), Sabah (1,000), Perak (971), Penang (863), Pahang (663), Kedah (652), Terengganu (612), Melaka (375), Kuala Lumpur (284), Negeri Sembilan (169), Perlis (79), Putrajaya (18) and Labuan (five).

The number of patients now in intensive care units stood at 979, with 871 of them being Covid-19 patients, while 108 cases were suspected, probable and under investigation; 565 of them required ventilators.

Recoveries continue to outpace infections

Meanwhile, new recoveries continued to outpace daily infections for the 13th consecutive day, with 17,000 recoveries reported.

This raised the cumulative Covid-19 recoveries so far to 2,037,099, representing a 91.2% recovery rate.

15 new clusters identified, nine from workplace

The ministry also reported 15 more Covid-19 clusters on Wednesday, comprising nine workplace clusters and six community clusters.

To date, 5,462 clusters have been identified nationwide, 4,338 of which have been declared ended, leaving 1,124 active.

Read also:
Malaysia logs 208 Covid-19 fatalities on Sept 29, raising death tally to 26,143

Tan Choe Choe & Lam Jian Wyn