BUKIT MERTAJAM (Aug 8): The Ministry of Communications and Multimedia (KKMM) is actively refining its efforts to address online fraud cases by engaging with private companies to curb the problem.
Deputy Minister Datuk Zahidi Zainul Abidin said that the involvement of private companies will provide cybersecurity services to protect users’ personal data and information.
“Currently, at the ministry level, we are in talks with several companies to realise this cooperation by introducing a payment gateway fee where a small fee is likely to be charged for any online purchase, but it is still under discussion,” he said this to reporters after launching the Penang Women Going Digital programme here today.
He said that the move is seen to be able to curb online fraud cases as well as to protect against any intrusion of users’ data and personal information by irresponsible parties.
“The fee that will be imposed on consumers is very small. For example, for online purchases of RM1,000, about 0.02% or 20 sen would be charged.
He said that with the fee, apart from preventing any intrusion of personal data, it could also curb cases of online fraud or scams.
Meanwhile, for the fake news issue, he said that currently, the number of investigation papers opened stood at 266 with 30 were already charged in court.
“It shows that proactive measures implemented by the government through the Sebenarnya.my portal as well as the fast-moving team under the ministry in providing true and authentic information to the community, to some extent, has curbed the spread of fake news,” he said.
Zahidi also said that Internet usage among Malaysians had reached 26.69 million.
“The increase in Internet usage was 3.1 million compared with last year. In fact, it is also seen to have increased when the country was placed under the movement control order (MCO),” he said, adding that initiatives to reduce the digital divide between rural and urban areas had been increased.