KUALA LUMPUR (Jan 5): The flood situation in Perak, Pahang, Terengganu and Selangor has worsened as the number of evacuees in relief centres is reported to be increasing, while Johor and Kelantan saw a slight drop in the number of evacuees.
In Perak, the number of evacuees rose to 1,237 as of 8 am from 1,011 yesterday housed at 13 temporary flood relief centres in four districts.
A State Disaster Management Committee secretariat spokesperson said Muallim district was the worst-affected followed by Kampung Slim Village, Kampung Balun and Kampung Kuala Slim forcing 554 residents to be moved to four relief centres.
The banjir.water.gov.my portal reported that Sungai Plus in Kampung Lintang in the Kuala Kangsar district had reached the danger level of 54.93 metres while Sungai Perak in Kampung Gajah of Perak Tengah had reached the alert level of 6.68 metres.
In Pahang, the number of evacuees rose to 17,104 today compared to 13,626 yesterday and were housed at 242 relief centres in 10 districts.
The Welfare Department Disaster Info portal reported as of this morning, Maran recorded the highest number of evacuees at 4,561 followed by Kuantan (3,774), Lipis (2,182), Jerantut (1,953), Raub (1,862), Temerloh (1,228), Rompin (954), Pekan (279), Bentong (198) and Bera (113).
Meanwhile, the concession holder of the East Coast Highway Phase 1 (LPT1) ANIH Berhad said in a statement KM113 in Lanchang was closed to traffic last night as it was flooded while KM84.6-KM84.7 was still closed since Sunday.
Several rivers in Pahang have breached the danger level among them Sungai Jelai in Bukit Betong and Jeram Bungor, Lipis; Sungai Tembeling in Kuala Tahan, Jerantut; Sungai Kuantan and Sungai Lepar, as well as Sungai Pahang in several locations namely in Sungai Yap, Jerantut; Lubuk Paku, Maran; Kuala Sungai Chini and Paloh Hinai, Pekan.
In Terengganu, the number of evacuees in two districts rose slightly to 1,074 people as of 8 am compared to 1,044 yesterday.
Head of the State Disaster Management Committee Secretariat, Lt Col (PA) Che Adam A Rahman said two more relief centres were opened in Kemaman bringing the number to 12.
“In Kemaman the number of victims rose to 920 people compared to 844 previously while in Dungun the number dropped to 154 from 200 yesterday,” he told reporters today.
Meanwhile, in Selangor, 183 victims remained at four relief centres in two districts as of 8 am.
Selangor Disaster Management Unit operations officer Muhammad Izzat Haziq Mohd Nazir said when contacted a total of 128 victims in Hulu Bernam were housed at three relief centres and 55 victims in Kuala Selangor were taking shelter at Sekolah Kebangsaan Rantau Panjang.
In Kelantan, the flood situation in Gua Musang has improved with only 78 victims housed at three relief centres as of 8 am, from 322 yesterday.
According to the Welfare Department Disaster Info application, of the number, 48 are housed at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Limau Kasturi 2, Serian community hall (19) and Gua Musang District Council hall in Bertam Baru (11).
According to infobanjir.water.gov.my five rivers in the state have breached the alert level namely Sungai Galas in Limau Kasturi, Gua Musang at 58.90 metres (alert level of 57.50 metres), Sungai Lebir in Tualang, Kuala Krai at 31.24 metres (31.00 metres), Sungai Kelantan in Kuala Krai at 23.97 metres (22.50 metres), Sungai Kelantan in Kusial, Tanah Merah at 14.41 metres (14 metres), and Sungai Golok in Jenob 22.56 metres (22.50 metres).
Meanwhile, the number of evacuees in Johor has dropped to 5,485 from 5,524 yesterday.
Johor Health and Environment Committee chairman R.Vidyananthan said Kota Tinggi still has the highest number of victims at 2,707 followed by Kluang (1,950) and Mersing (506).
A total of 53 relief centres were opened, 23 in Kota Tinggi, Kluang (12), Johor Bahru (1), Mersing (six), Segamat (six), Pontian (three) and two in Batu Pahat, he said in a statement today.
He said several stretches of roads were still closed namely Jalan Kota Tinggi-Mersing (Kubu), Jalan Kota Tinggi-Mersing (Risda), Jalan Kota Tinggi- Kluang (Tun Habab), Jalan Lok Heng/Mawai/Sungai Mas (Jambatan Sungai Semalok) and Jalan Haji Suhud Taman Muhibbah (Johor Bahru) following a collapsed bridge and Jalan Nitar Utama- Kluang di Mersing.
The floods had so far claimed three lives, he said.