KUALA LUMPUR (July 12): A Chinese official has denied that fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, had fled from Macau to the mainland, South China Morning Post (SCMP) reported today.
On Tuesday, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun was reported as saying that he was made to understand that Low had escaped to Macau from Hong Kong on a ferry. Yesterday, Fuzi said the authorities had received an email from its Macau counterparts that Low had left Macau for an unknown destination. “The email did not specify when Low left Macau. It is hard to trace him as he is believed to be using multiple passports,” Fuzi was reported as saying.
In a separate report yesterday, SCMP quoted sources as saying that Low was believed to be in China after fleeing Macau.
However, in today's report, SCMP, quoting the Chinese official who was familiar with the case, as saying that this was not the case.
“He (Low) definitely is not in mainland China, any claim that he is hiding in the mainland is irresponsible,” the source said.
Over the weekend, SCMP reported that Low had been living with his family and entourage in luxury apartments in Hong Kong’s upscale Pacific Place development.
Local police are understood to not have acted on an outstanding Interpol red notice warrant out for Low. Under international rules, Hong Kong police are not obliged to execute a red notice warrant if they do not receive a direct request from the country seeking the subject of that notice, it added.