Approval for RM2b flood mitigation project in accordance with regulations, says Zafrul

Photo by Zahid Izzani Mohd Said/The Edge

Photo by Zahid Izzani Mohd Said/The Edge

-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (Nov 12): Caretaker Finance Minister Tengku Datuk Seri Zafrul Tengku Abdul Aziz on Saturday (Nov 12) said that procurement related to the alleged approval of a flood mitigation project made after the dissolution of Parliament had been made in accordance with existing regulations.

PKR deputy president Mohd Rafizi Ramli earlier claimed that the Ministry of Environment and Water was in the process of awarding a RM2 billion project through direct negotiations to Mangkubumi Sdn Bhd, which is said to be owned by a person with links to the Umno leadership.

The company is also said to have obtained the approval from Tengku Zafrul via a letter dated Oct 7, the day of the tabling of Budget 2023 in Parliament.

In a tweet on Saturday, Tengku Zafrul issued a challenge to Rafizi to lodge a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) if there is evidence of violations, as well as present evidence, and not wait after the 15th general election (GE15) to take action.

Meanwhile, in Kuala Selangor, Tengku Zafrul said a task force involving relevant agencies such as the Department of Irrigation and Drainage, the state government, and the Ministry of Environment and Water will be established to find a solution to the flood issue in Kuala Selangor.

Tengku Zafrul, who is also the Barisan Nasional candidate for the Kuala Selangor parliamentary seat, said the flood issue there requires a holistic approach, so that it can be effectively overcome.

He said in Budget 2023 that he presented last month, the federal government had expressed its commitment to overcoming flood issues by allocating RM15 billion for flood mitigation projects.

"This project is now in the evaluation phase for the purpose of appointing a contractor. However, this flood situation also involves the issue of maintaining the drainage system. Through a study by an independent body, it was found that as much as 30% of the issue was caused by drains and ditch systems that were clogged due to garbage and not maintained as scheduled," he said.

Tengku Zafrul told Bernama this when met after visiting the flood relief centre (PPS) at Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Jeram here on Saturday.

A total of 32 victims from six families were placed at the PPS in the morning.

Get our comprehensive GE15 coverage here.

Read also:
Tuan Ibrahim to sue Rafizi over RM2b project claim
MACC to look into alleged granting of RM2b flood mitigation project