KUALA LUMPUR (March 12): Minister of Communications and Multimedia Gobind Singh Deo said the results of the 5G Testbed and Trials will be shared in a report due to be released in the fourth quarter of 2019 (4Q19).
During his speech at the Digital Innovation Conference earlier today, he said the results of the test would be shared with the multi-stakeholder 5G task force which was recently set up.
"A multi-stakeholder 5G task force has been formed to develop the relevant recommendations for 5G implementation. The task force is made up of both the demand and supply side from private and public sectors.
"Concurrently, MCMC (Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission) is also coordinating 5G Testbed and Trials from April 2019 to October 2019, and results from this exercise will be shared with the task force for inclusion into their report, which is due in the fourth quarter of this year," he said.
He added that the commission's National Fiberisation and Connectivity Plan (NFCP) has set a target of gigabit-speed internet services for certain strategic areas by 2020 and all state capitals by 2023, to ensure high-use areas for 5G will be ready for deployment once the standards are finalised.
The government had previously picked Putrajaya and Cyberjaya as the testbed for 5G technology, with further testing plans to include the participation of both the private and public sectors.