(July 7): The special task force investigating the alleged transfer of billions of ringgit into the personal accounts of the prime minister has frozen six bank accounts in their probe so far.
Attorney-General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail, Bank Negara governor Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar and MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed said in a joint statement that the taskforce also seized documents linked to 17 bank accounts at two banks for further investigation.
"The order to freeze the six accounts was made on Monday," the statement read.
The task force said the freeze and seizures were related to the non-compliance of Bank Negara’s rules by the said banks.
The statement however did not name the banks or whether any of the frozen accounts belonged to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
"Investigations is ongoing. The special task force urges all parties to give their full cooperation in order to complete the investigations," the statement read.
This follows a report by The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) alleging that US$700 million from companies linked with 1MDB was deposited into Najib's personal bank accounts.
Three days ago, Gani said the task force was going through documents taken from the premises of SRC International Sdn Bhd, Gandingan Mentari Sdn Bhd and Ihsan Perdana Sdn Bhd.
The three companies had also been named by the WSJ in its report.
"After reviewing and analysing the documents retrieved during the raids, I have advised the taskforce on the next course of action," Gani was quoted as saying.
He added that the investigations would be focused on all aspects raised.
Najib refuted the allegations and said it was a political ploy engineered by his opponents, including former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
The New York-based publication insisted that their investigation was based on solid documentation. – The Malaysian Insider