Dr Mahathir does not discount possibility of F1 returning to Malaysia

-A +A

SEPANG (Aug 1): Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad does not discount the possibility that the Formula 1 (F1) race, which was last hosted by Malaysia last year, will return to this country.

“Maybe,” he responded when asked by reporters whether the installation of the flood lights throughout the Sepang International Circuit (SIC) could be perceived as a sign that the prestigious race would be hosted back by SIC.

He had earlier driven a Ferrari car on the 5.543 kilometer track as a symbol of the official opening of the ‘Circuit Lights’ here tonight.

Dr Mahathir, however, drew attention that the lighting rate of the flood lights was much higher than required in case the SIC wanted to hold races at night.

“If for the F1, the lighting must be much brighter because the present brightness is not bright enough. It will make it difficult to carry out broadcasting work,” he said.
Dr Mahathir said SIC had the potential to become a motorsports city that served as a platform for the advancement of motorsports in the country.

“Sepang can become a motorsports city where everybody who is interested in such activity or engineering can come here and learn how to move forward in this field,” he said.

Meanwhile, Youth and Sports Minister Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman said it would be up to the Cabinet to decide on resuming the F1 race in Malaysia.