GEORGE TOWN (Jan 9): The Penang Government is awaiting the full report from the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) before taking any further action on the Bukit Kukus landslide incident that killed 10 foreign workers last October.
Penang Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said DOSH has the authority over the worksite issue and the State Executive Council had agreed to wait for their report before deciding on the next course of action.
“At this moment, we can’t take any further steps pending the final decision by DOSH. We need to look at their report and recommendations before making the appropriate move,” he told reporters here today.
He said the State received two investigation reports, namely from the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) and the special committee headed by Deputy Chief Minister I Datuk Ahmad Zakiyuddin Abd Rahman, today.
However, he did not reveal the report findings on the cause of the incident or those to be held responsible for it.
Chow, who is also Padang Kota Assemblyman, said questions regarding the incident such as whether or not the same contractor should continue the project, would be dealt with after the DOSH makes its report public.
So far, he said DOSH has not lifted its stop-work order on the project and the State would act accordingly to facilitate the findings.
“We hope that DOSH will lift the stop-work order on the project as we want to continue with the project as soon as possible,” he said.
The landslide which occurred on Oct 19 at the Bukit Kukus paired road project owned by MBPP, claimed the lives of 10 foreign workers and injured another four.
The Bukit Kukus elevated paired road project was meant to connect Paya Terubong to Relau here.