BEIJING (July 20): The Malaysian Embassy in Beijing has not received any information on businessman Low Taek Jho or Jho Low’s purported arrest by the Chinese authorities.
An embassy source when contacted by Bernama could not confirm the reports by several local and foreign news portal on Jho Low’s arrest.
“So far, we at the embassy have not received any information on Jho Low’s arrest,” he said.
Two days ago (July 18), an online portal, Sarawak Report, stated that a radio station in Hong Kong had reported on Jho Low’s arrest in China.
Jho Low’s passport had been revoked by the Immigration Department on June 15 following a request by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) in connection with its investigation into the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun today was reported as saying that he had not received any information on the matter, but would probe into it.
Last week, Mohamad Fuzi said Jho Low was believed to have left Macau, where he was last known to be, to an unknown destination.