1MDB haj programme will not be continued

-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (July 30): The special haj programme sponsored by Yayasan 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) will not be continued from this year, said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Dr Mujahid Yusof Rawa.

He said this was because the foundation's source of funds was connected to the 1MDB which is still under investigations.

"Between 2011 and last year, 5,711 haj pilgrims were sponsored, amounting to almost RM57 million," he said in reply to a oral question from Datuk Seri Ahmad Maslan (BN - Pontian) at the Dewan Rakyat today.

Replying to a supplementary question from Ahmad who urged the government to consider allowing the 1,200 pilgrims who had already received the offer letters to perform the haj this year, using their own funds, Mujahid said priority was given to people who are performing the haj for the first time.

"I want to clarify that their quota came from Yayasan 1MDB, so the new government will not take this quota from Tabung Haji even though the recipients are willing to pay for their pilgrimage," he said. - Bernama